Monday, March 30, 2009

Assignment #4

Hand, sand, manage, carnage; 
Love, above, dream, scream; 
Lives, gives, slaves, knaves; 
Ring, sing, true, woo. 
Words by Dara Lanlehin     

An atheist’s lament   

What dirty joke is at my hand? 
Given life, yet made of sand 
Death will come - no choice but manage 
Keeping sane within the carnage   

We spend our days in search of love 
If we don’t find, we search above 
This f***ing thing is like a dream 
Makes me sick I want to scream   

Who hands out death and who lives? 
Who takes my joy and who gives? 
Is life a gift, or are we slaves 
The poor, the rich... are they the knaves? 
  
A bell within this song might ring 
What is my cause, each heart must sing 
I wait the day when all's made true 
The day that death shall gently woo     


Akin Ogunsola 
March 2009

8 comments:

  1. You used the words you were given, you molded them...the words didn't mold you. Just like play dough you twisted the words into meaning and that meaning became truth- after all that I would assume is an atheist's lament. Your style is incredible...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love this one! I'm just drawn into the words and I can totally relate to what you are saying! Have you published a collection yet? let me know when you do! also do you write stories too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good and interesting use of the words provided. The poem is emotional and gives a clear insight into 'an atheist's lament'
    Please upload more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK ... that was AWESOME (even more so if those words were given to you b4 you wrote the poem). It was in focus and still rhymed. Meaningful stuff bruv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love this poem but I don't have a clue what it's about! I also like the concept of contributions by more than one person.

    It would be really interesting to have some background about this poem and the positionality from which it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm,
    doesnt sound "atheist-ish" to me.
    More like a disgruntled believer.
    lol
    and love...ah! that thing is a pain in the xxx

    Nice words usage. The multitude will be proud of you.lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super super. man u must be ...er .. no fitting words come to my mind. never read so powerful a poem. man u deserve a pullitzer much more than all those dim witted punks who drink wet cement.
    keep it up

    ReplyDelete